Siteminder and Some Performance Issues

11 Feb

Sometimes back I had written about some interesting issues encountered during the load testing application integrated with CA Siteminder. Load testing application integrated with Siteminder has its own challenges and limitations with regard to environment and scope of testing. Normally I have observed that most projects do not test Siteminder integration/approach/solutions as an independent component, but rather they club it with applications and prefer to test this with End to End approach as most people believe that it saves some time or they believe that it’s of little importance. I would say its incorrect approach or in cases a incomplete approach, if you have Siteminder integrated with your applications and you have 10’s of application with 1000’s of users, and then probably with performance testing Siteminder integration individually as a separate project might give you a lot of mileage in long run. Siteminder is a complex product and it does deserve performance testing individually given that it handles some of the critical functions of the business namely Access Management.

The purpose of my writing this post was to highlight one of the interesting bottlenecks we had encountered/investigated and fixed during Siteminder load testing for one of the projects. During load testing one of the applications we were constantly getting 401 errors and nature of the 401 errors were such that it was redirecting itself N number of times and in some cases going into infinite redirection loops. Reproducing this kind of error via browser is a harder job as browser often hides the redirection events and you just see progress activity bar in the browser status bar. With HTTP Debugging tool you can clearly see the redirection calls happening behind the scene, but again I believe browsers don’t really redirect exactly N number of times. So in browsers I have seen max redirection depth of 40 to 50 per tab, after that it use to stay still, may be browsers stops further redirections events. The redirection events looked like below in fiddler trace.

SM_Issue_001

In above image,we can clearly see that siteminder agent installed on the server is redirecting the request URL N number of times.Now during Load testing the issue was looking like below,

SM_Issue_002

We had number of calls with CA team and after we gave them this precise description of the  issue along with our vuser logs and fiddler traces we were seeing during our tests, they came back with below finding and fix,

One out-of four policy server had a bad value for the encryption key; this resulted in request sent to the bad Policy Serve to fail with “invalid key in use” – Looping observed in the fiddler traces for request failing to authorize.

Once we fixed in the encryption key in the sm.registry file all request processed as expected – no more looping (re-authentication process).

I am writing the exact text as given by the CA R &D team in case if any one faces this issue,they can try out this one as well.However please ensure that you see the same behavior as we have seen it and ensure that you do not have any issues with SM cookie collectors and they are doing their job fine.In addition to this make sure your users do not have access issues.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: